SASŪ OLAP Cube Studio and SASŪ OLAP Server
Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) is a technology that is used to create decision-support software. OLAP enables application users to quickly analyze information that has been summarized into multidimensional views and hierarchies.
SAS OLAP Server
SAS OLAP Server is a scalable server that provides multi-user access to data that is stored in SAS OLAP cubes. The purpose of the SAS OLAP Server is to respond to queries from cube viewers. SAS OLAP queries are performed using the Multidimensional Expressions (MDX) query language in client applications that are connected to the OLAP server by using either OLE DB for OLAP or a similarly designed Java interface. SAS OLAP Server runs in the background on specially configured host computers.
SAS OLAP Cube Studio
SAS OLAP Cube Studio provides an easy-to-use graphical user interface to create and manage SAS OLAP cubes. You can use it to build and edit SAS OLAP cubes, to incrementally update cubes, to tune aggregations, and to make various other modifications to existing cubes. SAS OLAP Cube Studio is part of the SAS software offerings, SAS OLAP Server and SAS Enterprise BI Server.
SAS OLAP Server Monitor
SAS OLAP Server Monitor plug-in for SAS Management Console enables you to manage tasks that are specific to the SAS OLAP Server. You can configure SAS OLAP Servers, administer the connection to a SAS OLAP Server, monitor sessions that are running on a SAS OLAP Server, and monitor queries that are being processed by a SAS OLAP Server. You can also enable and disable cubes and refresh cube metadata.
The most current releases are SAS OLAP Cube Studio 4.4 and SAS OLAP Server 9.4.
What's New in SAS 9.4 OLAP Server
The SAS 9.4 OLAP Server has several new features for 9.4:
- new OLAPCONTENTS procedure for generating reports of OLAP cube information
- new OLAPCONFIG method for setting SAS OLAP Server options in batch mode
- updated OLAPOPERATE procedure
- new MDX Case statement
- new VISUALTOTALS_BEHAVIOR option for calculated measures
- Starting in the first maintenance release for SAS 9.4, a new LOGICALSERVERNAME option has been added to the OLAPOPERATE procedure.
- Beginning in SAS 9.4, you can enable execution of user defined (FORMAT procedure style) formats in SPDS. See the topic" Improving ROLAP Throughput Performance with SPDS" in the SAS 9.4 OLAP Server User's Guide.
- Starting in the first maintenance release for SAS 9.4, a new INSTR MDX function has been added. See "INSTR" in the SAS 9.4 OLAP Server MDX Guide.
- Starting in the first maintenance release for SAS 9.4, the LOCKDOWN option and statement are supported by the SAS OLAP Server.
- The EXISTS MDX function is now documented in the SAS 9.4 OLAP Server: MDX Guide.
In addition, properties for multilingual cubes are automatically updated in multiple languages when reports are generated. And, the SQLRC macro can be used with the SQL pass-through facility for OLAP.
Free Online Documentation
- Most recent release for SAS OLAP Cube Studio and SAS OLAP Server
SAS OLAP Cube Studio 4.4 and SAS OLAP Server 9.4
- What's New in SAS OLAP Server 9.4 HTML
- SAS 9.4 OLAP Server: User's Guide, Fourth Edition PDF | HTML
- SAS 9.4 OLAP Server: MDX Guide, Fourth Edition PDF | HTML
- Accessibility Features of SAS OLAP Cube Studio 4.4 HTML
- Help for SAS OLAP Cube Studio 4.4 is accessible within the product.
- "Administering SAS OLAP Servers" in the SAS 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Application Server Administration Guide PDF | HTML
- "Managing OLAP Cube Data" in the SAS 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Data Administration Guide PDF | HTML
SAS OLAP Server Monitor
- Help for SAS OLAP Server Monitor Plug-in is accessible from within SAS Management Console.
- All online documentation for supported releases of SAS OLAP Cube Studio and SAS OLAP Server [HTML]
- SAS OLAP Cube Studio and SAS OLAP Server titles in online bookstore [HTML]
- SAS Technical Papers for SAS OLAP Cube Studio and SAS OLAP Server [HTML]
- Featured Papers
SAS Publishing Representatives are available in the U.S. from 8-5 ET to answer your documentation questions. Contact us at 1-800-727-3228 or e-mail.
Curriculum consultants are available in the U.S. from 9-5 EST. Contact us at 1-800-333-7660 or e-mail.
International customers, please contact your country office.
Online Support ResourcesThis page contains online support resources that are specific to this product. Visit the Support page to access various self-help and assisted-help resources or submit a problem through the SAS Technical Support form.
- Shared dimensions can be used to allow incremental update of dimensions for a ROLAP cube
- Using the SQL Pass-Through facility for OLAP to test queries against a cube on a SAS OLAP Server)
- Using the SECURITY_SUBSET feature of SASŪ OLAP Server
- Enabling the ARM log in a SASŪ 9.2 OLAP Server
- Using PROC OLAPOPERATE to close all sessions for a particular cube
Real BI For Real UsersSAS BI tips, lessons learned, problems, and successes