Hardware Virtualization Environments
All SAS products, beginning with SAS 9.1.3 and later, are supported in a hardware virtualization environment, for example VMware, provided the following guidelines are accepted and understood:
- To determine whether the operating environment combination (operating system, third-party products, etc.) is supported by SAS, the following conditions must apply:
- The virtualization provider must support your operating environment combination as a "guest" environment.
- The third-party products must independently be supported in the virtualization environment.
- SAS must support that combination in a physical environment. Support is listed in the system requirements for that specific SAS product.
- SAS expects functional equivalence of its products between a virtual and a physical environment. SAS does not do specific testing of its products in a virtualized environment.
If a functional issue arises, SAS will make good faith attempts to reproduce the issue, but does reserve the right to request the customer to reproduce the issue in a physical environment. This will only be done when there is reason to believe that the issue is being caused by the virtualization environment.
- Due to the nature of the virtualization environments, SAS does not expect performance equivalence in these environments. Analysis must be done within the customer environment for the specific application(s) to determine the appropriate sizing and configuration of the infrastructure. The customer is responsible for properly configuring their virtual machine and applications for that virtualization environment.
Presentation Virtualization Environments
SAS 9.2 and later can be deployed into a presentation virtualization environment as per the following guidelines:
- Support is available for the following Virtual User Interface (VUI) environments on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2012 family, 32-bit or x64 editions.
- Terminal Services in Windows Server 2003
- Terminal Services for Windows Server 2008
- Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2008 R2
- Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2012
- Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2012 R2
- Citrix Presentation ServerTM 4.0
- Citrix Presentation ServerTM 4.5
- Citrix XenAppTM 5.0 and higher
- Citrix XenAppTM 6.0 and higher
Application Virtualization (Streaming) Environments
SAS will work with customers to support the deployment of SAS 9.3 (and later) desktop applications in application virtualization environments on a reasonable-effort basis. These environments include VMware ThinApp, Microsoft App-V, and Citrix XenApp. In these instances, the customer assumes responsibility for resolving environment differences if SAS cannot reproduce the problem in-house in a currently supported non-virtualized environment.
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Environments
SAS will work with customers to support the deployment of SAS 9.3 (and later) desktop applications in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environments on a reasonable-effort basis. In these instances, the customer assumes responsibility for resolving environment differences if SAS cannot reproduce the problem in-house in a currently supported non-virtualized environment.