There is a new version of this course. Please see SAS® Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques.
This course is for those who need to learn data manipulation techniques using the SAS DATA step and procedures to access, transform, and summarize data. The course builds on the concepts that are presented in the SAS® Programming 1: Essentials course and is not recommended for beginning SAS software users.
This course can help prepare you for the following certification exam(s): SAS Certified Associate: Programming Fundamentals Using SAS 9.4, SAS Certified Specialist: Base Programming Using SAS 9.4, SAS Certified Clinical Trials Programming Using SAS 9.
Learn how to
- understand and control DATA step processing
- create an accumulating column and process data in groups
- manipulate data with functions
- convert column type
- create custom formats
- concatenate and merge tables
- process repetitive code
- restructure tables.
Who should attend
Business analysts and SAS programmers
Before attending this course, you should be able to do the following:
- write DATA step code to subset rows and columns, compute new columns, and process data conditionally
- sort tables using the SORT procedure
- apply SAS formats
This course addresses Base SAS software.
Controlling DATA Step Processing
- setting up for this course
- understanding DATA step processing
- directing DATA step output
Manipulating Data with Functions
- creating an accumulating column
- processing data in groups
Creating Custom Formats
- understanding SAS functions and CALL routines
- using numeric and date functions
- using character functions
- using special functions to convert column type
- creating and using custom formats
- creating custom formats from tables
Processing Repetitive Code
- concatenating tables
- merging tables
- identifying matching and nonmatching rows
- using iterative DO loops
- using conditional DO loops
- restructuring data with the DATA step
- restructuring data with the TRANSPOSE procedure