This course teaches you how to read data in Database Management System and PC Files within your SAS environment using SAS/ACCESS software.
Learn how to
- read data in relational databases and PC File data using the LIBNAME statement, SQL Pass-Through Facility, and In-Database Processing methods
- import PC Files including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, JMP, STATA, SPSS, and R data using the IMPORT procedure as well as export data using the EXPORT procedure
- use In-Database Processing methods to submit BASE SAS procedures to database for processing
- combine data from different databases using the DATA step and the SQL procedure.
Who should attend
SAS programmers that need to access data in Database Management Systems and PC files from within SAS
Before attending this course, you should be comfortable programming in SAS and Structured Query Language (SQL). You can gain the SQL knowledge from the SAS SQL 1: Essentials course. You can gain knowledge of SAS from the SAS Programming 1: Essentials course. A working knowledge of your database is helpful.
This course addresses SAS/ACCESS software.
Using the SQL Pass-Through Facility
- course logistics
- overview of SAS/ACCESS software
- overview of methods to access data management systems
- connecting to course database management
Using the SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME Engine
- creating SQL procedure pass-through queries
- using the SQL pass-through facility
- using the EXECUTE statement
Importing and Exporting PC File Data
- using the LIBNAME statement for database management systems
- using the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC files
- using SAS/ACCESS data set options
- working with PROC SQL views and the embedded LIBNAME statement
Base SAS In-Database Processing
- importing PC files (MS Excel, MS Access, JMP, R, STATA, and SPSS) with the IMPORT procedure
- exporting data using the EXPORT procedure
- overview of SAS In-Database Technology
- using Base SAS procedures in database management systems
- improving performance with the LIBNAME statement
- combining tables