There is a newer version of this course. Please see the schedule for the new DS2 Programming: Essentials course.
This course focuses on DS2, which is a fourth-generation SAS proprietary language for advanced data manipulation. DS2 enables parallel processing and storage of large data with re-usable methods and packages. This course is designed for programmers with large data who want to use modern programming techniques and structures.
Learn how to
- identify the similarities and differences between the SAS DATA step and the DS2 DATA step
- convert a Base SAS DATA step to DS2
- create DS2 variable declarations, expressions, and methods for data conversion, manipulation, and conditional processing
- create user-defined and predefined packages to store, share, and execute DS2 methods
- create and execute DS2 threads for parallel processing
- leverage the SAS code accelerator to execute DS2 code outside of a SAS session
- execute DS2 code in the SAS High-Performance Analytics grid using the HPDS2 procedure.
Who should attend
Experienced SAS software users who want to use modern programming techniques for manipulating large data
This course is not appropriate for beginning SAS software users. Before attending this course, you should have several months of SAS programming experience, which can be obtained by taking the SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques course. You should also have a solid background in ANSI SQL: 1999.
This course addresses Base SAS software.
- introduction to DS2
- course logistics
DS2 versus Base SAS DATA Step
- Hello, World
- basic DS2 syntax
- converting a Base SAS DATA step to a DS2 DATA step
New Data Types and Syntax
- similarities to Base SAS DATA step
- DS2 "missing" features
Methods, Packages, and Threads
- data types
- automatic data type conversion
- selected functions
- user-defined packages
- predefined packages
Tracing and Debugging Learning More
- SAS In-Database Code Accelerator
- introduction to the HPDS2 procedure