This course is for SAS programmers who want to learn advanced techniques within the DATA step and procedures. The course builds on the concepts that are presented in the SAS® Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques course.
This course can help prepare you for the following certification exam(s): SAS Advanced Programming for SAS 9, SAS Certified Professional: Advanced Programming Using SAS 9.4.
Learn how to
- Use additional functions (LAG, FINDC/FINDW, and COUNT/COUNTC/COUNTW).
- Perform pattern matching using PRX functions.
- Process repetitive code, rotate data, and perform table lookups using arrays.
- Perform table lookups and sort data using hash and hash iterator objects.
- Create numeric templates using the FORMAT procedure.
- Create custom functions using the FCMP procedure.
Who should attend
Experienced SAS programmers
Before attending this course, you should have completed the SAS® Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques course or have equivalent knowledge. Specifically, you should be able to do the following:
- Create an accumulating column and process data in groups.
- Manipulate data with functions.
- Convert column types.
- Create custom formats.
- Concatenate and merge tables.
- Process repetitive code.
- Restructure tables.
This course addresses Base SAS software.
Using Advanced Functions
- Setting up for this course.
- DATA step review.
Defining and Processing Arrays
- Using a variety of advanced functions.
- Performing pattern matching with Perl regular expressions.
Defining and Processing Hash Objects
- Defining and referencing one-dimensional arrays.
- Doing more with one-dimensional arrays.
- Defining and referencing two-dimensional arrays.
Using Utility Procedures
- Declaring hash objects.
- Defining hash objects.
- Finding key values in a hash object.
- Writing a hash object to a table.
- Using hash iterator objects.
- Creating picture formats with the FORMAT procedure.
- Creating functions with the FCMP procedure.