Usage Note 13061: "Java Virtual Machine Launcher: Could not find the main class program"
when installing AppDev Studio 2.0
When you install AppDev Studio 2.0, the following error message
Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Could not find the main class program
This message appears when have a newer version of JDK installed (for
example: 1.4.1_01), instead of the default version 1.3.0_01.
It is covered under the section, "Updating a newer version of java" in
the install instructions for ADS 2.0.3.
Updating a New Version of Java:
The original AppDev Studio Java Components 2.0 install was designed
to work only with the 1.3.0_01 version of the Java Development Kit
(JDK) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE). However, in order to
support subsequent 1.3.x releases of the JDK and JRE, the AppDev
Studio Java Components 2.0.3 Update install will attempt to update
the latest 1.3.x JDK and JRE installs. If you have installed newer
1.3.x versions of the JDK and JRE since installing AppDev Studio Java
Components 2.0, then you will need to manually update them to include
files that were installed by the AppDev Studio Java Components 2.0
install prior to applying this update.
To update a newer JDK 1.3.x install, perform the following steps:
1. Click on Start>Run> and type regedit.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.3
3. If the MicroVersion value is other than "0_01", then the JDK needs
to be updated.
4. Copy all of the files and folders from the Java\SAS\ext subfolder
under the main AppDev Studio 2.0 install folder to the JRE\lib\ext
subfolder under the folder specified by the JavaHome value.
5. After performing the above steps, webEIS users must update the
webEIS.cfg file that resides in the webEIS subfolder, under the
AppDev Studio installation path.
6. Modify the line that starts with -Djava.ext.dirs and modify the
value so that it contains the new JRE install path.
This will allow webEIS to recognize and use the updated Java
The final solution:
1. Uninstall Java 1.3.0_01 from Add/Remove programs.
2. Reinstalled using the Sun web site.
3. If you get the same results (i.e. AppDev Studio still could not
find JRE), download and install the 1.3.0_01 Java Runtime
4. Create registry entries for 1.3.0_01 in both the JRE and java
plugin areas. To do this click on Start>run and type regedit.
If you are unfamiliar or not comfortable making changes to the
registry, consult your systems administrator. As always when
making changes to the registry make sure you back the registry up
5. Move the lib/ext files to JRE area and adjust the webeis.cfg to
point to right place.
6. Verify that AppDev Studio started up.
7. Apply the AppDev Studio 2.0.3 Update and that it installed
Follow the steps in the section entitled "Updating a New Version
of Java" in the install instructions located at the following URL:
8. Find and replace all of the lib/ext files in both jdk area and
9. You should not have to uninstall the Java 1.4.1_01 SDK.
Warning: Always back up your registry before you make any registry
changes. For assistance, see Windows Help, Microsoft documentation,
or the Microsoft Windows Web site. SAS is not responsible when
you edit the Windows registry: changes in the Windows registry
can render your system unusable and will require that you reinstall
the operating system.
Operating System and Release Information
SAS AppDev Studio
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows 95/98
For software releases that are not yet generally available, the Fixed
Release is the software release in which the problem is planned to be